The simplest way to make the best out of smart boards in your classroom is to use them. According to the National Center for Education Statistics*, 57 percent of teachers who have access to interactive white boards used them with their students each day. Since the use of interactive technology can help engage students in the subjects they are learning, the benefits are great for those who incorporate them into their daily lessons. Below are three tips to help you understand the simplest ways to implement smart board technology in your classroom.
Put Them at the Center of Your Lesson
Shifting your mindset to allow interactive white boards to be at the heart of your lessons will help you begin maximizing their benefits. Use your smart board from the first step of your lesson planning to the last step of teaching in your classroom. As you prepare your lessons, think about the full range of options smart boards provide.
1. They give you the ability to incorporate images, websites, video clips, audio clips, and more into your lessons. Instead of just talking about a topic, show your students the media you have incorporated to help them truly visualize the concept you are teaching. To do this, simply insert a link to your desired source while you are preparing your lesson and click on it at the appropriate time during teaching.
2. They allow you to organize your lesson plans in a manner that is easy for both you and your students to follow. By grouping individual lessons into smaller points, you can then focus on the way you’d like to present each set of information. Interactive white boards give you the opportunity to create step by step lessons so that one essential concept leads into another in very visual ways.
3. They make it easy to share your lesson plans and important points with coworkers and students so that information is always conveniently accessible. Once your lesson plans are finished and have had all the media elements added, you can save those plans then send them to parents, students, or other teachers. This is a great way to maintain organization within grade level teams since every teacher in the team can have immediate access to the same lesson plans. It also allows students to review material discussed during school.
Once you start focusing on using your smart board from start to finish, you’ll be able to create more interactive lessons with a higher level of organization.
Have Them Be an Extension of Yourself
Use your interactive white boards to teach in a way that is natural for you. If you incorporate humor into your lesson, continue to do so through the medium of your smart board. If you like to create high impact visuals or make thought provoking assertions, display them on your interactive white board then discuss them with your class. While some may feel that using this kind of technology in the classroom can be impersonal and limiting, smart boards actually provide a chance for you to more fully express your teaching personality and ideas.
1. Select individualized visuals and media clips that appeal to you. Chances are if you find them interesting, your class will too. Incorporating your own perspective into the options you choose will help your students more fully understand the meaning you are striving to convey.
2. Create your own quizzes with the questions you feel are important by using the Gynzy Quiz Maker tool. This allows you to highlight the specific points and topics that you feel are the most essential for your students. It also gives you the opportunity to focus on the exact subject needs of each of your classes.
3. Make slides and presentations using your own unique voice and personality. Your students love you because of your distinctive way of interacting and teaching. Rather than allowing text book verbiage to state the points for you, create presentations using your own words to explain things in a way your class can understand.
No one teaches your students like you do. So, use the options provided by interactive white boards to help you more fully demonstrate your approach to teaching.
Since smart boards also allow you to incorporate tools, you can individualize the approach you take for each classroom or subject. Perhaps you feel that math needs to be more interactive in order for your students to truly understand the concepts or there are specific areas you’d like to focus on before your science test. Using smart board tools will help engage your class in the subjects you’re teaching.
1. Use the Gynzy Hangman game during language arts in order to help your students remember how to spell each of their spelling words. Using this interactive game in the days before their spelling test will help them remember each of their words in a fun and unique way and could boost scores at the end of the week.
2. Implement math games to help create interest in a subject that many students find difficult or boring. Present math concepts in ways that will catch their attention and help them learn almost subconsciously. Any subject becomes more interesting and more memorable when there is an element of fun associated with it.
3. Drive home science concepts by using interactive experiments designed for your smart board. Help students predict what will occur in an experiment before they see the outcome then have them discuss if their hypothesis was correct once they see the result. Engaging their minds through the use of smart board tools will help them begin to think through scientific concepts.
With the number and variety of tools available, your interactive white board can make your lessons come alive in the classroom.
The three points above illustrate the simplest ways to make the best out of smart boards in your classroom. Don’t be afraid to experiment as you discover exactly how you most enjoy using them in your daily routine and how they most benefit your students. Allowing interactive white boards to become an integral part of your teaching experience will greatly enhance the learning environment of your classroom and help your students master the concepts you teach.