Effectively managing time in the classroom is an essential part of a teacher’s day. With so many subjects to cover and a limited amount of time to do it in, finding ways to make the most out of those hours is a constant process. Fortunately, many teachers have found that using an interactive whiteboard in the classroom increases their productivity and helps them present more meaningful lessons to their students. According to a study conducted by Karen Swan of the University of Illinois at Springfield, there was a positive difference in performance on standardized math and language arts tests for students whose teachers utilized interactive white boards over students whose teachers did not. Below are ten ways in which smart boards can help you increase the productivity in your classroom.
1. Save and Access Files – Using smart boards gives you the ability to save files during your lesson prep, organize them to your liking, and then access them again when you’re ready to teach. This saves you time by allowing you to project your lesson outline or lecture notes directly from your smart board rather than having to transfer it onto the classroom white board or onto overhead projector sheets. If you use an online whiteboard software like Gynzy, you can save all your lessons right to your profile and use them or share them with colleagues as needed. To get started, create an account and begin exploring our Library of standards-aligned learning materials.
2. Reduce Wordy Lectures with Media Clips – To truly take advantage of your interactive whiteboard, you should try to incorporate videos, pictures, diagrams, and other visuals into your lesson plans. Rather than spending time trying to describe certain topics or processes to your students, show them a video you’ve loaded onto your interactive white board. This decreases the amount of time you need to spend talking and helps you make more effective use of the hours you have with your class.
3. Spend Less Time on Review by Increasing Comprehension – Since Interactive Whiteboards allow you to include media in your lessons, students may be better able to grasp the concepts being taught. As you reduce the time you spend lecturing, you can increase the amount of material that your students comprehend. This results in you having to spend less time on subject review and instead allows you to move your class forward to the next important topic.
4. Improve Lesson Organization – The use of smart boards for lesson planning and preparation provides a higher level of organization. Handwriting lesson notes can mean making multiple copies as you think and re-think your plans. Making additions, taking things out, or moving things around in the order of your lecture can make hand-written notes messy, disorganized, and difficult to follow. Utilizing an interactive white board in your planning process allows you to easily shift thoughts, ideas, and topic order around without having to write out a new outline.
5. Organize Learning Games & Activities – One of the most basic benefits of an interactive whiteboard is that they are fun to use! This makes them a great place to host learning games and activities, such as Hangman or a variation of the classic memory game. Using an interactive whiteboard in this way provides a good opportunity to “flip” the classroom – have a student come up and relay answers given by the class, and then have other students rotate in. This type of fun interactivity that still works on building skills is a great way to re-energize a classroom.
6. Save Time and Paper – Interactive Whiteboards give you the freedom to project quizzes, tests, essay questions, writing prompts, and more for your entire class to see. This means you no longer have to waste time or paper in making countless copies for each lesson. Simply create the questions or prompts you’d like the class to work on, save the file, and then display them from your smart board when you come to class.
7. Increase Student Engagement and Reduce Classroom Management Time – By using classroom management tools specifically designed for an interactive whiteboard, educators can decrease the amount of time managing student behavior. Since the smart board is able to create lessons that can’t be duplicated on a regular whiteboard, it can be more effective at grasping your students’ attention and engaging them in what is being taught, and you can use this to your advantage to manage students’ expectations, keep them engaged, and ultimately use your teaching time more effectively.
8. Improve the Quality of Student Notes – Since smart boards allow you to incorporate many different teaching tools into your lessons, students are often able to more clearly picture or understand a concept being taught. This allows them to take better notes as they translate their new understanding into words that have meaning for them. This can also lead to higher test scores since students can more easily recall the concepts that were taught from the notes they were able to take.
9. Increase Student Self-Confidence – The tools provided by the interactive white board allow you to create lessons that students are able to more easily understand. This can help them achieve greater self-confidence as they complete homework, study for tests, and then take those tests in the classroom. The increased comprehension they may gain from the media and organizational options delivered by smart boards can help them feel more secure in their abilities to perform well on their school work.
10. Make Your Lessons Memorable – Increase the amount of time your students remember concepts by engaging them with Interactive Whiteboards. Help them understand important subjects for more than just a few weeks or months. By creating memorable lessons by using smart boards, you’ll be able to give your students knowledge that can stay with them for a lifetime.
Gynzy Can Unlock Your Interactive Whiteboard
Interactive whiteboards are a powerful tool educators can use to keep students engaged. To help teachers use their interactive whiteboard more effectively, Gynzy offers an easy-to-use online whiteboard that works as well on a students’ personal device as it does on the interactive whiteboard at the front of the classroom. Create an account to begin enhancing your teaching capabilities today.